Faculty & Staff Standard of Conduct
EUCON International School & University is not merely an educational institution with a Christian emphasis, but is rather the educational outreach of a Christian missionary enterprise. For that reason all administra-tors, faculty, and staff at EUCON are missionaries. Those upon whom God has laid such a calling are no longer at liberty to act as purely private individuals. For the conduct of each Eucon employee ultimately redounds, for good or ill, upon the testimony of our ministry and upon our Lord and His gospel.
We must therefore give "no offence in any thing, that the ministry be not blamed" (2 Cor. 6:3) and likewise "Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God . . . [but] please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved" (1 Cor. 10:32-33). In so doing we "take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumbling-block to them that are weak" (1 Cor. 8:9) and thereby show that we "use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another" (Gal. 5:13).
The EUCON Mission Statement declares that our institution "exists to provide quality biblical education in a Christ-honoring and Spirit-filled environment so that students may be introduced to Jesus Christ, trained in godly character and spiritual discipline, and equipped to be Christian servant-leaders in their societies and reach their homelands for Christ." This mission will be materially impeded if the conduct of our ad-ministrators, faculty, and staff do not at all times honor Christ, demonstrate a Spirit-filled life and godly character, and exercise spiritual discipline and servant-leadership.
Our Statement of Faith declares that, in the matter of Christian living, "We believe that every saved person should manifest the Christian life through a consistent walk in the Holy Spirit, fully and constantly yielding his members to the indwelling Christ, so that he may always by life and word show forth the praises of Him who has called him out of darkness into His marvelous light. We believe in a separated life, including but not limited to separation from worldly alliances, pleasures, methods of work, and secret societies." Having agreed to this Statement of their own free will, EUCON employees are expected to daily live out these precepts in their daily life.
The purpose of this policy statement is to assist EUCON employees by translating these precepts into tangible Standards of Conduct by which administrators, faculty, and staff may guide their daily choices. These Standards, however, do not constitute the whole duty of our employees. Nor can it be possible for this statement to cover every contingency in which employees may be expected to exercise biblical discernment and judgment. Further, the mere act of adherence to these Standards does not confer sanctification, for that would be legalism. Compliance with the letter but rejection of its spirit is no compliance at all.
Some Standards are based upon the scriptures, while others may be for expedience. In an institution comprised of many people it is simply fairest and best to deal with some questionable matters through general proscriptions rather individual adjudication of each and every case. Moreover, EUCON recognizes, as regards some conducts which are here proscribed, that other good Christian organizations may adopt different standards according to their own situations and consciences, and that Christians of good will who are purely private individuals may be at liberty to engage in conducts which EUCON has been led to restrict. But we must be guided by our responsibilities before God as a missionary enterprise, our needs as an educational institution, the circumstances unique to the community in which He has placed us, the values He has led us to emphasize, and the mission He has entrusted us to perform.
Therefore, as a Eucon employee you agree that:
• You will not attend movies, Broadway-style revues or performances, or restaurants with live music.
• You will exercise Christian restraint and discernment in home entertainment choices.
• You will not listen to worldly music.
• You will not engage in social dancing.
• You will not use traditional playing cards.
• You will not use alcohol, tobacco products or illicit drugs, or abuse prescription drugs.
• You will not join any secret society.
• You will not join outside organizations or take public roles in community activities or political life without the permission of the Administrator.
• You will observe Christian decorum in your relations with members of the opposite sex, including, but not limited to, refraining from being alone in a
room or a vehicle with a member of the opposite sex to whom you are not related.
• You will adhere to the regulations on public bathing prescribed in the Faculty Handbook.
• You will adhere to the dress code prescribed in the Faculty Handbook.
• You will be an active member of the Christian Bible Church and attend all regularly scheduled and specially convoked services and meetings unless
excused by the Administrator.
• You will not engage in joint ministry with another Christian organization or participate in its activities without the permission of the Administrator.
• You will not participate in community events and public recreations on the Lord's Day.
• You will maintain a meaningful devotional life for yourself and, if applicable, your family.
• You will uphold these Standards of Conduct when you are traveling or visiting away from Saipan.